Skip to main content

Jason Mraz's first summer job? Sweaty, hard work

Summer jobs: The very mention brings up memories of low pay, long hours and sweaty, clueless teenagers who don't really know what they're doing.

Memories like that are still vivid for some of the nation's greatest achievers. Since last August, Reuters has been gathering the first-job stories of successful Americans, including sports legends, business titans and media superstars.

This month, to coincide with the nation's monthly jobs report, we spoke to a few of them about those memorable summer jobs that got them started.

JASON MRAZ, SINGER AND SONGWRITER

First summer job: Fence builder

"My dad was a fence contractor in Mechanicsville, Virginia, so my first paying gig was building fences. It involved a lot of digging holes, cleaning up construction sites and distributing lumber. It was for $5 an hour, which, at the time, was more than minimum wage."

"It was hard manual labor, and I certainly would rather have been at the pool with my friends rather than driving an hour to some muggy, mosquito-infested area to build a fence around a horse field. But I was getting paid, so I didn't mind."

"My dad was happy to have me working for him. We would just blast the stereo all day, and I would sing along to the radio or some mixtape I made. He would turn to me and say, 'I hope you pursue that, and live your dream. I would rather you do that, than this.'"

"That stuck with me, big time. That could have been my future, and I could have easily taken over the family business. I still build fences sometimes - but now it's around my garden, and I do it with great pride."

BRIAN WILLIAMS, ANCHOR, MANAGING EDITOR, "NBC NIGHTLY NEWS"

First summer job: Lawn guy

"I don't remember when 'work' started in my life. I caught on rather quickly that it was the only way to make money: to buy things, to take girls on dates, and to buy a car to take girls on dates."

"My primary summer job was mowing lawns. I was the lawn guy for many of our neighbors. I mowed lawns through the intense heat of summer, through rain storms, swarms of bugs and more rain."

"I'm 55, so I don't mean for this to sound like 'tales from our grandparents' but remember, this was before anything more thirst-quenching than water, and it was before water bottles became ubiquitous."

_0">

"What did I drink from? A Thermos? Probably a garden hose."

_1">

"Worst of all: It was before the invention of the Walkman. Your music had to be in your head, competing with the nasty roar of a smelly one-cylinder engine muffled through a 50-cent paper filter. I grew to prefer the neighbors who spent the extra on a self-propelled mower, which were luckily becoming all the rage in the mid-70's."

_2">

"I first got my 'working papers' at age 14 (the State of New Jersey minimum age) and then I was off to the races. Real jobs - two of them - one as a busboy at our local pancake house, the other selling hardware at Sears. I always tried to convince people to spend the extra on a self-propelled mower, knowing there was a sweaty kid out there who would appreciate it."

_3">

_4">

DANA PERINO, CO-HOST, FOX NEWS CHANNEL'S THE FIVE, FORMER WHITE HOUSE PRESS SECRETARY

_5">

First summer job: Telemarketer

_6">

"Young people might not know what I'm talking about, but back in the day, people used to call you up and try to sell you things, and that was me. One product that I had to sell was the Nordic Chair, from the same company that made the NordicTrack. It was a chair you could put in your living room, but you could pull out the arms and do all sorts of exercises with pulleys."

_7">

"It was so humiliating. You would be interrupting somebody's dinner, and they would be screaming at you. I learned a lot about rejection, and getting back on the horse every time. I think that job was excellent training to become the White House press secretary."

_8">

"Another thing that job taught me, is to be a lot nicer whenever a telemarketer tries to call me. They don't relish calling your house. They're just trying to make a living."

_9">

"I know I didn't sell many Nordic Chairs. I'd love to know if anyone still has one."

_10">

_11">

RAUL DE MOLINA, HOST, UNIVISION

_12">

First summer job: Wrestling photographer

_13">

"Back when I was in high school, I used to be a big fan of professional wrestling. This was in the days of guys like Bruno Sammartino, and the Funk Brothers, and Abdullah the Butcher. I would bring my camera with me, and take pictures of wrestling matches and try to sell them to different magazines."

_14">

"I actually got a job with a Japanese magazine, a weekly full-color glossy, because professional wrestling was huge in Japan. They would pay for my trips and give me $500 per assignment, sending me to places like Charlotte, Atlanta, and Amarillo, Texas. I actually had to ask my mother for the travel money, and then the magazine would refund her."

_15">

"All my high school friends were jealous, because here I was going around taking pictures of professional wrestlers, who were our big heroes back then. I did become a photographer later on, working for the Associated Press. And when I started working on TV for Telemundo, one of my first reports was on Abdullah the Butcher, who came out of the ring and tried to grab me and started bleeding all over me. It turned out to be a good story."

_0">

_1">

(Editing by Lauren Young and Bernadette Baum)

_2">

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o