Skip to main content

Liz Jones's diary: In which he bares his heart

0 shares 111

View comments

You think you have the monopoly on mire. I get up every day, and I can’t wait until it’s afternoon, and I can have my first drink. I dream about it all day.

That first sip: I suck it through my teeth so I taste every molecule, make it go further. I can’t write unless my head is that little bit fuzzy.

I have another drink. I forget about dinner – you may laugh at that bit, given what you think about my thighs – and all I want is another drink.

The thought of going to a bar and not having a drink, well, I might as well not go. I feel it burn my throat and I know I am doing damage.

I wake in the middle of the night – as you do – now the drink has worn off, and I want another one. I can smell alcohol on my skin, like the air inside an empty bottle. I wake the next morning feeling dizzy, parched, ill-tempered; you wonder why I never phone you in the morning, why I fall asleep on the sofa when I’m supposed to be seeing you. Well, that’s why.

‘You wonder why we sometimes don’t have sex. Do you want to live with that? I still drink, before I get to you, after I leave. I see your shiny optimism [I thought at first he’d been about to type ‘face’!], your rigid lines, your extreme sense of right and wrong, and I think, she doesn’t want this.

She wants to be perfect for me in six months’ time, she never lets me even buy dinner without wanting to go halves.

I know moments before I arrive she has been Hoovering, because if I touch it, it’s still warm, but if she only knew what I was really like. She only wants a man like her dad: trousers pressed, lawn mowed, dogs walked. A poster on a wall secured with Blu-Tack. She is superhuman. I’m not kind when I’m drunk, I’m just like my old man: I even have his grey stubble.

‘It started through nerves, shyness. I drank a wee bit before I went on stage. I come from Scotland, for chrissake. I drank at my weddings. I drank when I got divorced. I drink when I get an alimony bill. I drink because I never made it exactly where I wanted to be, not quite. I drink because it’s all over for me. I never became John Lennon or Mick Jagger or even Sid Vicious. I never died young, so now I am old.’

‘I drink because it’s all over for me,’ he wrote. ‘I never died young, so now I am old’

I got this email at the weekend. We had had a small argument, on the Bat Phone, about what I no longer remember. Probably about him not paying sufficient attention to me. When I read his email, I felt stupid, and selfish, and intolerant.

I believe I am the only one with the problems, I am the only one who has been slighted and let down. I am the only one who is completely alone, harbouring secrets about how much I owe, how little I eat.

And do you know the really horrible thing that flitted through my mind when I read this email (and I had to get permission from him to publish it, here, bar two sentences he made me excise, which is why I filed this column perilously late)?

  More... Liz Jones's Diary: In which I'm stung by a jellyfish Liz Jones: In which there's another crisis Liz Jones's diary: In which I list his pros and cons

How I would not be able to stand the mess, not the psychological mess, but of him, with empty bottles everywhere, shuffling, not washing, not brushing his tongue.

That was my first thought. I think the only reason I chose anorexia as my addiction of choice over bulimia is that the latter was more messy, and wasteful. Too many speckles.

The second thought that flitted as I read, and reread, and read again, was, ‘Oh, this will make a good column.’ I swear that is what I thought, second.

Not sympathy, or empathy, or shame. What sort of person does that make me? God, writers are horrible, horrible people. I’d even been wondering what to tell you about this week, as I haven’t seen him, have not had any guests or traumas or abscesses or colic or bailiffs; I have merely watched daffodils and crocuses unfurl their heads, so fluorescent they might have been designed by Christopher Kane.

The third was how on earth to write a reply.

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o