Skip to main content

Liz Jones: In which I decline his cafe society

82

View comments

So, a few days after he was supposed to come to my new house for the weekend, but in fact was a day late, and left before breakfast on Sunday (I say ‘breakfast’, but all I had to offer him was black coffee and six lychees), he called me.

‘I’m in Edinburgh. Do you want to meet for a coffee?’

A coffee! A COFFEE?! Meeting someone for a coffee is the dating equivalent of saying, ‘Do you want to meet on the top of a heap of landfill just outside Canvey Island and search through old supermarket carrier bags?’

Asking someone you have had sex with to meet you for coffee is the dating equivalent of burping in their mouth, or saying, as they give you a dry peck goodbye, ‘You take care.’ Both of which have happened, of course they have, to me. Meeting for coffee is noncommittal. It proves you have someone more interesting to meet later on. In short, this sort of behaviour is likely to send me into a mood, a rage. 

‘I don’t drink coffee after midday, as you well know. It makes me nervous.’‘Everything makes you nervous. OK, a drink in a bar, then?’This was far too little, far too late. ‘You don’t drink alcohol, remember. Going for a drink with someone who doesn’t drink is like skiing without snow, snorkelling without colourful exotic fish, tennis without a racquet.’I heard him take a great big breath: he is either smoking, or annoyed. ‘Dinner, then. There is a great veggie place near the Grassmarket.’‘But why did you say coffee?’

‘When?’

Meeting for coffee proves you have a more interesting date later on

This is what it is like dating someone your own age (OK, marginally younger, but bear in mind I am very well-preserved) rather than a decade and a half your junior. Like shouting down a trumpet at your ancient nana. ‘Just now. On the phone.’

‘Did I?’

‘Yes!’

I suppose I could drive up to Edinburgh. Two of my nieces live there, and I love my nieces to pieces. I once had a date in Edinburgh, so it is high on my list of Favourite Cities in the World; it should have World Heritage status. The date didn’t go well, though.

I’d gone up to the Festival (I saw the world premiere of ET, so you can do the sums yourself about what year this was) on the night train, and a young man chatted me up (incredible, I know). Me and my friend Bridget (ex-friend; the world is littered with them) arranged to see him one night at his rented-for-the-week bedsit.

I was yet to get contact lenses and, later, laser eye surgery, and didn’t want to put him off by wearing my awful cheap glasses, so when we all sat down to watch The Texas Chainsaw Massacre on his TV, all I had to go on was the sound (this was before I went deaf, thank goodness). I think he thought I was a bit weird, as I sat there, unblinking at any amount of gore, like a soulless automaton. I never heard from this young man again. This brief encounter, though, with no sex, no kissing, no follow-up, I don’t even think he told me his name, is still significant enough to loom large for me, which tells you it was pretty much downhill from there.

So why, I hear you asking, is she (me) being so sniffy about coffee with a stadium legend? Well, the short answer is, despite evidence to the contrary, I am not desperate. I have decided I am not going to do the running around, for any man. He has to make an effort, or I am just not interested.

‘I want you to come to mine after, so I can play you a new song. It’s about you.’

‘Is it as good as ‘Wonderwall’?’

‘It’s better.’

I grabbed my keys. Happy New Year!

  Catch up on Liz's diary entries Liz Jones: What I have lost so far Liz Jones: In which he makes me wait Liz Jones: In which he asks me out on a non-date

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o