Skip to main content

Liz Jones: In which I call him a cab

0 shares 69

View comments

Liz Jones

So, he came to stay in my flat (honestly, it’s been like Piccadilly Circus of late). He was due to fly somewhere. He said he couldn’t stay in his London home, as some of his giant children were there. I joked that perhaps he was off to Switzerland, but he didn’t laugh. He looked awful, really grey around the edges, and even in the middle.

He went to bed, I went to work. One day, he returned with some shopping (a Sainsbury’s chocolate cake, when he should have bought proper cake from Konditor & Cook), and I noticed a slim bottle of gin that he slipped from orange bag to woolly. I said nothing.

Anyway, I became desperate to get home to the Dales to be with the animals, especially since I’d seen there was such thick snow. He hadn’t asked me once what my plans were, so I felt a bit cross. On Sunday, at midday, he emerged, so I put on my biker boots. I was hopping around, desperate to leave when, normally, with him, I can’t bear not to stay. I cling on, like Squeaky used to when I wanted to wash the duvet cover.

‘Can I give you some instructions?’ I said primly, as he went to smoke a cigarette on the balcony. ‘I’ve ordered you a car tomorrow. It’s all paid for, and it will pick you up at 10am.’

‘Have you got an alarm clock?’

‘No, but I’ll set your phone and I’ll call you at 8am.’

He didn’t say thank you. So I left, and drove in the snow, thwarted by the fact they had shut the M1, which confused the satnav lady. The next day, I rang him at 8am. No reply. I rang again. Nothing. At 8.15, he picked up. ‘Whaaaa?’

‘Are you awake?’ I said, sounding just like his mummy.

‘Yeah, I’m fine, I’ve packed.’

‘OK, well the car will be there at 10am.’

I walked the dogs, keeping Mini P on a lead because of all the day-old lambs frolicking in the deep snow. At 10.15, my phone rang. ‘It eeze mini cab driver. There is no one ’ome.’

‘Yes, there is. Please don’t go. I’ll call him.’ I called him. ‘The driver has been pressing the buzzer – why aren’t you downstairs in your hat and coat?’

‘I don’t own a hat. I had the TV on.’

At 10.30am, I got a text. ‘If you don’t confirm you still need a car, we will cancel the booking.’ I called the driver. ‘No, seriously, he’s there. Go up and hammer on the door.’

He got in the lift, although he sounded doubtful at first, thinking I must have an imaginary boyfriend, and then I could hear him hammering on the door. Bang! Bang! Bang! Finally,

at 10.40am, the door opened. ‘Is he OK?’ I said to my new confidant, whose name I discovered was Muhammad.

‘’E looks very ti-rrred,’ he said.

  More... Liz Jones's diary: In which there's a family crisis Liz Jones's diary: In which I ponder his confession Liz Jones's diary: In which I tackle my debts

And that was it. I heard nothing more, other than an email to tell me that 45 minutes’ waiting time had been taken off my debit card. I hate waste and unnecessary cost. Nowadays, if I have an oily bath, I make the Bamford rose unguent last for 20 washes, not ten. I was reminded of airport journeys from hell with my hard-to-shift husband. He would keep me waiting outside in the car for ages, which meant we had to emergency park in the Short Stay car park rather than the Long Stay. I wouldn’t have minded so much, as I hate waiting at bus stops for minivans, if he’d ever picked up the bill.

The next day, my cleaner went to the flat. She called me. I half-expected her to say he was still there, slumped in the bed, having swallowed his own vomit, wanting to experience a rock ’n’ roll death fully. ‘Lizzie,’ she said. ‘It’s like a bomb’s ’it it! I’ve never seen it like this before! You always leave it so tidy!’

‘Is anyone still there?’

‘No, I don’t think so,’ she said. ‘I’m taking the duvet and pillows to the laundry as they’ve got tea stains on them.’

Oh God. I don’t allow tea drinking in bed. I don’t believe in walking around with hot liquids, either; I always made my husband drink half a mug of tea, not a whole one, in case of waves. I know I fake-tanned his loo, but this is going too far.

Popular posts from this blog

Study Abroad USA, College of Charleston, Popular Courses, Alumni

Thinking for Study Abroad USA. School of Charleston, the wonderful grounds is situated in the actual middle of a verifiable city - Charleston. Get snatched up by the wonderful and customary engineering, beautiful pathways, or look at the advanced steel and glass building which houses the School of Business. The grounds additionally gives students simple admittance to a few major tech organizations like Amazon's CreateSpace, Google, TwitPic, and so on. The school offers students nearby as well as off-grounds convenience going from completely outfitted home lobbies to memorable homes. It is prepared to offer different types of assistance and facilities like clubs, associations, sporting exercises, support administrations, etc. To put it plainly, the school grounds is rising with energy and there will never be a dull second for students at the College of Charleston. Concentrate on Abroad USA is improving and remunerating for your future. The energetic grounds likewise houses various

Best MBA Online Colleges in the USA

“Opportunities never open, instead we create them for us”. Beginning with this amazing saying, let’s unbox today’s knowledge. Love Business and marketing? Want to make a high-paid career in business administration? Well, if yes, then mate, we have got you something amazing to do!   We all imagine an effortless future with a cozy house and a laptop. Well, well! You can make this happen. Today, with this guide, we will be exploring some of the top-notch online MBA universities and institutes in the USA. Let’s get started! Why learn Online MBA from the USA? Access to More Options This online era has given a second chance to children who want to reflect on their careers while managing their hectic schedules. In this, the internet has played a very crucial in rejuvenating schools, institutes, and colleges to give the best education to students across the globe. Graduating with Less Debt Regular classes from high reputed institutes often charge heavy tuition fees. However onl

Sickening moment maskless 'Karen' COUGHS in the face of grocery store customer, then claims she doesn't have to wear a mask because she 'isn't sick'

A woman was captured on camera following a customer through a supermarket as she coughs on her after claiming she does not need a mask because she is not sick.  Video of the incident, which has garnered hundreds of thousands of views on Twitter alone, allegedly took place in a Su per Saver in Lincoln, Nebraska according to Twitter user @davenewworld_2. In it, an unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of the customer recording her. Scroll down for video An unidentified woman was captured dramatically coughing as she smiles saying 'Excuse me! I'm coming through' in the direction of a woman recording her A woman was captured on camera following a customer as she coughs on her in a supermarket without a mask on claiming she does not need one because she is not sick @chaiteabugz #karen #covid #karens #karensgonewild #karensalert #masks we were just wearing a mask at the store. ¿ o